The enrolment of foreign students is according to the applicable legislation and to the foreign student’s regulation, achieved by a special access and enrolment programme.
To apply to a course of studies, foreign students:
- Must have a qualification granting access to higher education, through a diploma or certificate emitted by a competent authority that evidences the qualification in an educational system and grants the access to higher education in the Country of its emittance;
- Must have a Portuguese Secondary School Diploma or legal equivalent qualification.
The foreign student who intends to attend a undergraduate Degree, must have, by the applicable law and internal regulation, a qualification/diploma from the country of origin giving the right to apply and enrol in higher education.
- The document certifying the above mentioned situation must be emitted by a competent authority, must evidence the final grade and used assessment scale and be authenticated by the Portuguese Consulate of the emitting country or, in case, apostolate by the conditions in The Hague Convention and translated into Portuguese Language by a certified translator in case of a language different from the Portuguese, Spanish, French or English.
Enrolment Conditions (enrolment and registration)
In addition to the access conditions previously defined, to enrol in the course of studies, foreign students must evidence:
- Specific academic qualification to enrol in the course of studies;
- Knowledge of the language spoken in classes (usually the Portuguese language).
Checking of specific academic qualification
1. The checking of the specific academic qualification:
- Concerns the subjects from the admission exams set for the course of studies, according to the general access and enrolment programme;
- b. Must ensure that foreign students have the knowledge required in the subjects of the admission exams at level and contents equivalent to the students enrolled by the general admission and enrolment programme, according to the Decree n. 296-A/98, of 25 September.
2. 2. The checking of specific academic qualification to enrol in the course of studies may be accomplished by document evidence of by written exam eventually complemented by a verbal assessment. The checking of the previous conditions is done:
- The document evidence, that may be accomplished by a document certifying that the applicant has already made exams considered equivalent at level and contents to the students admitted through the general admission and enrolment programme, where the final grade obtained in the exams is included.
- If the applicant does not evidence the accomplishment of these exams, above mentioned, an internal admission exam will be provided with the following features:
- It concerns the subjects of the admission exams set for the course of studies, according to the general admission and enrolment programme;
- It is compulsory the achievement by written exams, eventually complemented by verbal assessment.
- The written exams are accomplished in the language spoken in the course of studies.
Depending on the course of studies, the internal admission exam to check the specific academic qualification may be one of the following:
|Course of Studies to apply||Internal Admission Exam|
|Human Resources Management||Portuguese or Geography or History|
|Commercial Management||Portuguese or Economics or Maths|
|Business Management||Portuguese or Economics or Geography|
|Occupational Safety Engineering||Maths and Physics and Chemistry|
Schedule to Internal Admission Exams
The internal admission exams to check the specific academic qualification referred in line a) of number 1 article 7. From the foreign student regulationare accomplished in the following dates:
|Application Stage||Application Date||Internal Exam Date||Results Issue|
|1st Stage||4th February to 1st March||11th to 15th March||25th March 2018|
|2nd Stage||2sd to 16th March*||8th to 12th April||29nd April 2018|
|3th Stage||30th March to 3th May*||13th to 17th May||27th April 2018|
|4th Stage||4th to 31th May*||3th to 7th June||25th June 2018|
|5th Stage||1st to 28th June*||8th to 12th July||22th July 2018|
|6th Stage||21th July to 30th August*||9th to 13th September||23th September 2018|
|7th Stage||31th August 27th September*||7th to 11th Octuber||21th October 2018|
Note: The date for the internal admission exam may be altered to fit the applicant convenience.
Exemption from internal admission exam
The students with validExame Nacional do Ensino Médio ENEM (National Secondary School Exam) (Brazil) and national admission exams to higher education are exempt from the internal admission exams.Admission exams achieved by Exame Nacional do Ensino Médio (ENEM Brasil).
The PALOP (Portuguese Speaking Countries in Africa) are exempt from the internal admission exam if the exams from the country of origin are considered equivalent, at level and contents, to the ones accomplished by students through the general admission and enrolment programme, with evidence of the final grade obtained in these exams.
Knowledge in Portuguese Language
The foreign students are considered to have an acceptable knowledge of the Portuguese language if:
- They come from a Portuguese Speaking Country;
- They have continuously lived in the last two years in a Portuguese Speaking Country;
- They have attended the secondary school level in Portuguese language;
- They are holders of the Portuguese as Foreign Language exam in intermediate level B2;
- They are holders of a different certificate of Portuguese language, level B2, emitted by an Institute of Higher Education.